Sorry I have been absent a few days! The internet conncection went out Monday before I was able to post my blog, and then I was in Nairobi yesterday afternoon, helping my travel friends take care of some travel arrangements.
I had a wonderful weekend traveling with the two young ladies from Belgium. We started off with a bit of shopping at the Masai market, and then went to the Kenyata Conference Center, and got a bird's eye view of Nairobi and our pictures taken on top of the helicopter pad. Then we stopped for a mimosa (yummy fried beef triangle pastry with onions and cilantro), and visited the city market (the fresh fish/meat area smelled like something I have never smelled before -- yuck!) with fresh flowers and souvenirs. Next, we caught a matatu to the Nairobi National Museum (they have a bird display, and I saw a ton of birds that live in Kenya but that I have not had a chance to see yet. They also had a skull display, and various life size animal displays, oh-- and a few instruments) :-) Then we caught a final matatu to the Westlands and went to eat at a highly recommended Indian restaurant -- VERY good!!!!!!
Sunday we traveled into Nairobi, and immediately caught a matatu to The Karen Blixon Museum (Out of Africa original author). The grounds were beautiful, and then we walked about 15 minutes to the Garden Cafe, and I got to eat a fantastic PIZZA!!! It was a wonderful change of food from the local Kenyan fare. We headed to the Bomas (to see the traditional dances of several tribes in Africa (unfortunatley they are closed until the day after I leave for tallying votes of today's election (Kenyans are voting on whether or not to accept a new constitution). So instead we headed to the Giraffe Center and I got to feed giraffes by hand -- they are very slobbery!!! Finally we headed to restaurant that serves Brazilian style -- keeps the meat coming on skewers until you are full. I had the chance to try crocodile -- it had a fantastic lemon marinade and was the best course on the menu! What a neat experience.
We spent Monday and Tuesday cleaning the three classrooms while the students are on vacation (scrubbing from top to bottom the classrooms and desks). The staff at the House of Mercy was very appreciative of the cleaning supplies and the elbow grease that went into our hours of scrubbing. Today was our last official day (we have been encouraged not to travel on Thursday and probably Friday depending on the results of the voting. There is a fear that fights may break out and that it would be unsafe -- please keep us in your prayers.
Today we played all day with the kids, did craft projects, and I taught more trumpet lessons. There are a few young girls who were doing pretty well. I hope they continue to practice the cornet that I left with them (it was the one I learned to play on when I was in 5th grade).
They sang songs for us and presented us with cards as we left. A few girls had written special cards for me -- I will treasure them. Of course, I had a few tears as I left -- Kenyans are very strong people and very rarely cry -- so the children were very concerned for me. Many of them volunteered to walk us to the edge of town where we pick up the bus. They were very sweet and held my hand as we walked. I encouraged them that if I don't see them here on this earth, I will see them again in heaven!!! :-) They have such a strong faith and Rose, the director, is really teaching them to trust God. There is not a special organization that provides food or clothing for the children, but Rose assures us that the children never go hungry -- God always provides!!!! I am very thankful that I had the opportunity to show them that people in the United States love them, think about them, and will continue to pray for them.
Thanks so much for joining with me on this adventure. I am unsure if I will have a chance to send another report. So until then, please pray that God will continue to watch over the Children and Staff at the House of Mercy, and for the chest cold that I seemed to develop since after my safari -- I think my lungs are rejecting all of the dust I am continuously breathing in.
I am looking forward to returning to my family and friends -- see you soon!!!
Lynn
Hi Lynn,
ReplyDeleteIt's been great to have you share the stories from your trip and it's amazing how many experiences you have had over the past few weeks. It's wonderful you were able to tell the children you will see them again in heaven -- our permanent home. How great that will be!! Enjoy the last few moments of your trip, and we will see you back here in the states very soon! We'll save some of this HOT and HUMID weather for you ;)
Godspeed,
Ryan & Kerry
Lynn ~
ReplyDeleteSo looking forward to hearing your voice! We've missed you so incredibly MUCHLY.
Praying for your safety and "re-entry" back into the good ol' USA. You've no doubt missed "her" somewhat; the LORD giving you a wonderful appreciation for America - even with all of her flaws.
There's NO place like home...
Welcome back ~
Love, Mom and Dad
Safe travels, Lynn...Paul and I look forward to seeing you soon! Laura
ReplyDelete