Friday, July 30, 2010

Return from Safari -- July 30th

Hakunah matata (Relax, enjoy, don't stress)

Sorry to make everyone worry. When I tried to stop at the internet cafe yesterday, there was no service avaialable (TIA).


Yes, I survived the safari, and I didn't get eaten by the lions!!! The animals were magnificant and VERY, VERY CLOSE!!!!

I was able to borrow chargers while on the trip, so I will have plenty of pictures/maybe video to post when I get home!!!

In the Masai Mara, our van was lucky enough to see the leopard, and we had two male lions move in between our two parked safari vans. I was carefully sliding my glass window closed as they headed our way, and then they were less than 10 feet away -- AMAZING!!! I got to see the Wildebeast crossing the river 2 days in a row -- very good odds considering the driver said that people only get to see a crossing about 25% of the time!!! We even saw a crocodile death rolling a wildebeast -- UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

In Amboseli, we were close enough to an elephant that we could here the suctioning of the mud as she moved forward to find some other grass, and we could literally hear her chewing. There were also plenty of hippos there.

The flamingos and rhinos lived up to expectations at Lake Nakuru!!!

There were giraffes throughout the whole trip, one right by the side of the highway (kinda like deer at home), but I think it may have done a lot more car damage. We also saw plenty of gazelles, zeebras, buffalo, and ostriches, not to mention so many other kinds of birds, and plants -- what a dream come TRUE!!!

I would definitely like to return someday and go to a few more of the national parks that I was unable to visit. Maybe head down to the beaches of Mombasa, and squeeze in a hop to Zanzibar. Might take me another 20 years to save up for the trip though :-)

I have 2 more volunteers that are currently working at the orphanage with me so I have travel partners again... thanks for all of your prayers.

Also, little Kate's mother came to claim her while I was away, but I am sad to say that I think she would probably be better off living at the orphanage. Unfortunately Rose, the orphanage director, can't do anything about it when they provide the proper documentation from the court system/police department. I found out today that she is HIV positive, and her mother also is and is a prostitute in Nairobi, leaving Kate at home unattended for many hours at a time. Please pray for her safety and that God will protect her.

Now that the children are done with school classes, Rose has put me and the other two volunteers in charge of keeping the kids busy. We colored Christian coloring books this morning. This afternoon, I gave trumpet lessons to about 10 older kids, while the other two volunteers made masks with the other younger children.

I also gave the older children their harmonicas, and then the kids gathered in the courtyard with their masks and harmonicas, and sang several Christian songs for us. It is so wonderful to see that these children worshipping God, and having the ability to join with them.

Rose has an amazing story about how she started with just a few street kids, and how God has grown her efforts and provides the needs (food, clothing, shelter) for her and the kids....truly AMAZING. Please continue to pray for the children and staff at The House of Mercy.

Enjoy your weekend, we plan to try to visit many different sights throughout and around Nairobi.

Kwaheri -- (goodbye)

Lynn

6 comments:

  1. That sounds amazing, Lyn! I can't wait to hear more about it when you get home, and I am glad that you are having such a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn, I am so happy to hear that you are safe and had an AMAZING time on your safari. I can't wait to see the pics and hear all about your trip! We are praying for you as you continue to touch the lives of everyone around you.

    We Love and Miss you!
    Tara & Sprout :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there from your sis and your other sis, Lisa, (I'm in the family now!!!) We are LOVING reading about all your exploits in Africa and it's exciting for us to live vicariously through your experiences. It will be wonderful to talk with you when you get home. It will be nice to hear more about the ways God has touched your heart through your experiences with the orphanage and the trip in general. Glad to hear the safari was everything you had hoped it would be. Love ya! Love, Michelle and Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn ~ Posted July 28
    Welcome back...we've missed you. Hope your safari was all you had hoped it would be and more!
    Looking forward to hearing what you and the LORD have done over this past week...

    Welcome back...again! July 30
    So much enjoyed reading about your amazing safari...bless the LORD...for He truly has done a marvelous thing.

    Sorry to hear about Little Kate; she'll be in my prayers...

    Can't wait to hear your voice and all the wonderful "details" of your time in Africa (the details that would take you 'forever' to try to describe on the blog)!

    Miss you sooooo muchly!! We love YOU Lynn.

    Love 'n prayers, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey their Beautifull

    Glad to hear you didnt get eaten by the lions ;)and you havd a wonderfull time cant wait to see all the pics.Its sad about little katie she is in my prayers as are you
    Miss you bunches Love Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lynn,

    Glad to hear you had a great time on safari. We're looking forward to seeing your pictures. Ryan is super-jealous of the gore and destruction that you witnessed with the crocodile - sounds awesome!

    We're sorry to hear about little Kate, but we'll pray that God will take care of her, and that you will continue to have safe travels and meet others who can travel with you.

    Enjoy the remaining time that you have and we are looking forward to seeing you soon!

    Love,
    Ryan and Kerry

    ReplyDelete