Friday, July 9, 2010

Friday morning

Sasa (What's up),

You would respond Fifi (OK),

WOW what a day! There is a couple from Deleware living in my group home that arranged a fundraiser for their project last night at the local hang out.

They raised funds so that they can put a tin roof over the part of the school that doesn't have one yet, and to buy paint and painting supplies. Today a group of 11 of us headed to their project and helped to prime 10 classrooms and the outside of the building. Tomorrow we will be returning to paint.

This project is located in one of the slums of Nairobi. Words cannot describe what I saw and smelled today as we walked in and out of the area.

The children and teachers showed up to help paint today. I had fun delegating jobs to try to keep as many kids actively engaged as possible so that they could feel like they were all helping. Some students were scrubbing walls, some were painting just the bottom of the wall near the floor, around the windows, doors, pseudo-chalkboards (cutting in -- thanks Dave for teaching me how to paint better -- it definitely came in handy today!!!) When we were mostly finished some of us played games with the kids, and I gave a harmonica to one of the girls who was very friendly and helped me learn a few more words today. It was a big hit -- THANKS JW Music (Kim and Justin).

I will start my project on Monday, and I am really looking forward to interacting witht the kids.

As we walked through all of the little children (2 -5 years old) yell out "How are you?" even though some of them have no idea what they are saying -- but it sounds adorable!!!

Yesterday, I had the chance to have my last language class and then I accompanied Pastor Ian to two host homes where he visited with the volunteers there, so I have been able to hear stories of others experiences as well.

I am currently scheduled to visit my Compassion child, Jane, on the 19th. And will be headed for my safari sometime after that.

I hope you are all doing well. Please pray that hearts will be softened & ears will be opened as I have the opportunity to share some of my story!

Blessings!!!

Lynn

1 comment:

  1. good morning Lynn ;)

    glad the painting went well sounds like some of the things your seeing will make you even more thankfull for the blessing we have all been given in this country(we seem to forget so easy)cant wait to hear about the kids in your project esp. when they get all of those harmonicas oh the noise.Your in my thoughts and prayers

    Love Dave

    ReplyDelete