Arrived safely in Kenya around 9:30am local time. Sat next to very friendly Kenyan natives on my two flights to arrive here. They halped me with some basic kiswahili pronunciations -- nice to hear the words pronounced properly rather than just trying to read them from my Kenya book.
Pastor Ian picked me up from the airport with his 6 yr old daughter and they were dressed up so I inquired if they were late for church because my flight was delayed. They were, so I expressed that I would like to go with them if possible. He was very happy to oblige. I attended the Abundant life Center pentecostal church service and met and sat next to his wife, Edith. The singing was all in Swahili, so I hummed along or sang when I caught on. It was great worshipping in another country. The sermon was translated into English (by Pastor Ian) which made me very happy.
Headed to the house, stopped at the local ATM and grocery store first to buy water and TP (toilet paper) -- everyone buys their own and you carry it with you when you leave the house.
Met some of the people staying at the house. Other Americalns from Texas, Deleware, one from Australia, and New Jersey. Since it was the 4th of July, the Americans invited me to a cookout they were throwing later that evening.
I went and unpacked and then the group headed to the grocery store where we purchased burgers, hot dogs, and chips, and cookies. We went over to meet some other people who are also volunteering and staying at another group home. We had a nice time.
Shared a motor bike ride home (I was definitely tired from only about 2 hours sleep on the plane).
Three other girls got there last night after 12:30 and they will be sharing my room. I will start language school tomorrow.
No jet lag so far, and feeling well. Thanks for all of your prayers and encouragement!
This computer runs very slow at the internet cafe, so will post more later!
Glad that you arrived safely! I was happy to see that you began your stay in Africa at church...what a blessing! Thinking of you and praying for you! Can't wait to hear more.
ReplyDelete-Stephanie
Hello from Michelle and Lisa in Utah!!!! So excited to read your blog and to hear of your travels and experiences so far. What an awesome, awesome time it's going to be for you. How neat, also, that you are getting to share this trip with other Americans from across the U.S. We look forward to hearing many more details of your great, cultural adventure in the days to come. Hugs and Kisses!
ReplyDeletegood morning Lynn
ReplyDeleteIts really neet to hear things are going well on your first few days and to get your updates.Im really excited about reading your blog also
Love Dave
Lynn --
ReplyDeleteSo excited to hear all that God is doing already and going to do in you! Praying for you and Dave (can't believe you got him to use the computer to follow your trip ;) just kidding Dave, we love you!) during this time!!! Love you and miss you!!!
Cyndi