Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Tuesday, July 20th

Thank you very much (Asanti sana) for your comments!

Glad to know that I can share this experience with you!

Saturday I went inot town and did some mzungo (whiter person) shopping at a store called Zanzibar. A little freaky walking ack through downtown Nairobi with 2 large bags, but I survived and even managed to figure out the correct drop off point from the matatu (public van service) and only had to walk about 5 minutes back to the house!!! Whew!!!! Thanks to everyone who has been especially praying for safety in my travels. There are actually quite a few people traveling throught the areas, so I do not feel unsafe -- at least most of the time ;-)

Sunday, I waited at the bus stop for my contact to meet me and she never showed up. I found out today that she was not feeling well. So I waited for about 50 minutes and then decided to get some supplies at the grocery store, grab some fried chicken at the Jumbo Grill, and then headed back into Nairobi by myself. I went to thte Hilton Hotel because there are supposed to be good shops there, but it was closed so I found my way over the Masai Market (open flea market where you have to barter) and I got a few more deals. I have picked up several African instruments -- imaginary that!!!!

Yesterday, I met with the cab driver and Compassion worker and we drove 3 hours to meet with Jane, my Compassion child. It was a wonderful experience. We first went to the church that designated her as a child in need of sponsorship. It was a Catholic Church, annd there were probably 10 people there to greet us. Jane is very shy - she hardly spoke 25 words the entire day. I showed her my family/frieds/students picture book and showed her on a map where I traveled from. All of the people who were gathered there had quite a few laughs as I explained all of the differenet information. As they introduced themselves, they would all tell a little about themself and then add that they were "Saved or born again!" Very open about professing their faith. I pray that as Kenya becomes more developed and modernized they will not forget about God, or become so self reliant that they lose sight of their faith.  Please join me in this prayer request.

After meeting at the  church we proceeded to her family house. Jane's parents, uncle aunt, cousin, and 6 siblings all share a property. Jane's family sleeps in a house that is probably 12 X 8. After I gave them gifts, they poured me a special celebratory drink of sour mild and corn meal -- aah! I missed my orange / pomegranate juice, but I survived. I did not finish all of it. They also presented me with a rooster -- luckily the Compassion rep. instructed me to tell Jane to take vary good care of it for me. I will look forward to her telling me how my chicken is doing when I receive future letters.Her whole famly escorted us to the edge of their property, which meant I was welcome to return again. We took a picture by a cactus tree -- it is huge with many branches -- unlike anything I have ever seen before.

When we went back to her church, they offered us a wonderful lunch and gave me a Kenyan apron that has the words imprinted -- translation -- thank God for everything. I will continue to do just that.

Please continue to pray that I will have the opportunity to share my faith, and my story with those I come into contact with each day. I have seen God's hand in this already -- planting seeds whenever the opportunity arises.

Little Joshua is doing a little better, but the sores from his Malaria infection have now spread to his nose. Please continue to keep him in your prayers. Likewise, pray that I will be able to discern how best to help the children a the orphanage with the funds that other have intrusted to me!

Blessing to everyone back home and thatnk you for your continued prayer covering -- I know it is making a difference!

Tutuonana (goodbye)

Lynn

2 comments:

  1. Its great to hear your trip to see Jane went so very well.I have been looking forward to reading your blog about it.And im very glad to hear you feel safe (for the most part) when you travel we have all been praying you would have a travel companion.Things are going well hear. miss you

    Love Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn,

    That is so incredible that you got to meet your Compassion child!! How much more will you enjoy writing her knowing exactly what her surroundings and her personality are like. That is awesome! So grateful to God for providing that experience for you!! Things are good back here in the states. Heading over to Laura & Paul's tonight for a 'social' group night -- we will definately miss you!!!

    Love,
    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete