Thursday, July 15, 2010

Thursday, July 15th

I am starting to lose track of the days here.

I am really trying to keep up with my personal journal. It takes a long time to keep a hand written account of each day.

Today, I took pens and pencils to the teachers so that they can distribute to their class or use as they see fit. I also took some light bulbs.

Tomorrow I will be taking some clothes that I bought at a stand on the way home, more light bulbs, and deperately needed diapers for the little ones. I am hoping to take my trumpet as well (if I can catch a ride with Pastor Ian) rather than walking 30 minutes to the bus stop and then another 15 once I am at my project.

I helped to teach math, science, and social studies. I even drew a map of the US and showed the students the 5 main states that I have lived in. Quick geography lesson -- Kenya is the size of Texas ( and then I show them how big the US is!!!!) In science we talked about washing fruits and vegetables before we prepare them. (Kuosha means to wash) If the classroom teacher feels that the students are not understanding she interprets into Swahili and then asks the students some questions. I also helped the students with simple math facts for the last 40 minutes of school today -- we played many fun games to help them.

Little Kate still wanders through to find me and it breaks my heart when she cries when I leave or someone has to take her away to another room.

I am hoping to visit the Elephant orphanage and girrafe house in Nairobi either this weekend or next. I may attend church with my students this Sunday -- we will see!

Also I will be meeting Jane Purity Murugi, my Compassion International child this Monday. I am so excited. I will definitely dress up that day:-)

Please pray that I will have more opportunities to share my faith with the people that will be around the house this weekend, and other locals that I might meet.

Thanks to everyone who takes time to post comments. It helps me to feel a little more connected to home!



In His Service,

Lynn

1 comment:

  1. Dad and I are so much enjoying this "journey" with you Lynn. But I do wish I could be a little ladybug that resides with you and be able to see/feel every type of emotion that you experience as you encounter each new day and each new situation. Missions will always be precious to our hearts and a part of our lives.

    Praying for strength anew each day and an open heart to meet each situation with wisdom, eagerness, and God's grace...
    ~ Through your HANDS as you touch the children, showing them how much He cares for them.
    ~ Your FEET walking (we're walking, we're walking here!) to many new places, with Him, wherever He leads each day.
    ~ As you SPEAK by teaching the children, helping them to learn about life...and His abundant life.
    ~ Your EYES shining with His love to everyone you meet.
    ~ LISTENING to the needs and then respond with what He places on your heart.
    ~ Your HEART continuing to be filled with compassion...and a passion to serve Him and others.

    The little girl that searches you out sounds adorable; someday, maybe, "just maybe", you will have your very own "Little Kate" that you won't have to say good-bye to...

    Continuing to pray with you and for you during your Awesome African Adventure (AAA); what an awesome way to give your life away ~ for Jesus... We love YOU, Lynn.

    Love, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete